Dublin Indoors Report
Fri-Sun, 10th-12th February 2017
What a fantsatic weekend of athletics at the Dublin Juvenile Indoor Athletics Championships at the fantastic brand new indoor facility on the National Sports Campus at Abbotstown in Dublin.
The event took place over three long days and the 83 athletes from MSB who'd entered an event came away with 22 medals in total.
Day 1 (Friday 10th Feb 2017)
Some 220 teams had entered the relay races on the opening evening of the Championships. The event was well organised but the sheer number of athletes wanting to get a chance to compete at the fantastic facility contributed to a very long evening with the event running until 11:30pm!
We had a number of teams entered at several of the age categories including six teams from the U13 group alone. We got a few comments from other clubs amazed at the sea of green and blue singlets lining up!
Some great performances all round with many of the teams making their respective finals with the following teams achieving a podium place:
- U11G - Bronze
- U11B - Silver
- U13G - Silver
- U13B - Bronze
- U15B - Silver
Day 2 (Saturday 11th Feb 2017)
The second day concentrated on sprints and field events and saw some more fine performances from the many MSB athletes. Lots of semi-finalists and finalists and podium places for the following athletes:
- U13B - Shot Put - Louie Woodger - Gold
- U17G - 1500m - Aisling Mohan - Gold
- U18B - 1500m - David Troy - Silver
- U10B - 60m - Toby McCarthy - Silver
- U18B - 400m - Simon Ayres - Silver
- U14B - 60m - Nkemjika Onwumereh - Silver
- U13B - Shot Put - James Monahan - Bronze
Day 3 (Sunday 12th Feb 2017)
THe third day of the Dublin Juvenile indoor Championships focussed on middle-distances which is usually the strongest discipline for the MSB athletes.
Once again there were many green and blue singlets on display with many making it to their respective finals. True to form, in the middle-distance events, there was a flurry of medals; some expected and some a surprise and even one in a field event:
- U10G - Emily Bolton 500m - Gold
- U12B - Thomas Bolton 600m - Gold
- U13G - Aoife Brown - 600m Gold
- U14G - Sadhbh Mohan - 800m - Gold
- U15B - Finn Woodger - 800m Gold
- U17G - Molly Brown - 800m - Gold
- U13G - Gara Williams - 600m - Silver
- U14G - Viviana McCann - 800m - Silver
- U14B - James Bolton 800m - Silver
- U17B - Sean White-Mullen - High Jump - Silver
Thanks very much to all the coaches for their time given to prepare all the athletes, parents for bringing the athletes and remaining patient in the long sessions and the volunteers/officials without whose help these events would not take place.
Special thanks go to the Dublin Athletics Board and, in particular, Cecil Johnston, the event director, who organised a record number of athletes at a completely new venue.
Although the days were long we were all thankful we were inside in the warm rather than outside in the freezing conditions of strong winds, rain, hail and snow!